Viscolex is used to treat lower respiratory tract disorders, such as chesty cough. The syrup contains the active ingredient carbocisteine which breaks down mucus in conditions such as chronic asthma or bronchitis to help you to breathe easier.
Directions for use:Adults and children over 12 years:
- Breaks up thick or excessive mucus
- Suitable from 2 years of age
Initially take 15ml (three 5ml spoonful’s) three times a day, reducing to 10ml (two 5ml spoonful’s) three times daily when the mucus start to go.
Children 6 – 12 years:Give one 5ml spoonful 2 to 3 times daily.
Children 2 – 5 years:Give one 2.5ml spoonful 3 times daily.
Warnings:Do not take Viscolex Syrup:
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Viscolex Syrup:
- If you are allergic to carbocisteine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed below).
- If you have an active peptic ulcer.
- Do not give to children under 2 years of age.
- If you are an older patient
- If you have a history of gastrointestinal ulcers
- If you are taking medication known to cause gastrointestinal bleeding
- If you have a history of peptic ulcer
- If you are on a low sodium diet
- If you have a rare hereditary fructose intolerance or an intolerance to some sugars.
The active substance is carbocisteine 250 mg / 5 ml. The other ingredients are: Sucrose, Sunset Yellow Colouring (E110), Sodium Methyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E219), Sodium Ethyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E215), Sodium Propyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E217), Disodium Edetate, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerol (E422), Orange Flavour (contains ethanol <15mg/5ml), Citric Acid Monohydrate and Purified Water